FreedomBox v Facebook - Eben Moglen from Nick B-T on Vimeo.
Freedom Box Project
Inspired by Eben Moglen's vision of a small, cheap and simple computer that serves freedom in the home. We are building a Debian based platform for distributed applications.
- ease of use
Vision StatementWe live in a world where our use of the network is mediated by organizations that often do not have our best interests at heart. By building software that does not rely on a central service, we can regain control and privacy. By keeping our data in our homes, we gain useful legal protections over it. By giving back power to the users over their networks and machines, we are returning the Internet to its intended peer-to-peer architecture.
In order to bring about the new network order, it is paramount that it is easy to convert to it. The hardware it runs on must be cheap. The software it runs on must be easy to install and administrate by anybody. It must be easy to transition from existing services.There are a number of projects working to realize a future of distributed services; we aim to bring them all together in a convenient package.See: FreedomBox
- Talks and presentations
- 2011-06-10 - Internet Evolution: The Real Meaning of 'Internet Freedom'
- 2011-06-10 - Internet Evolution: Defining 'Freedom Boxes'
- 2011-06-06 - Personal Democracy Forum 2011: Eben Moglen Keynote
- 2011-03-06 - CBS News: ''"Freedom Box": Internet free of government control?'' - Moglen:
- 2011-02-25 - Morningside Post Conference on Digital Media: ''Navigating the Age of Democratized Media'' - Moglen:
- 2011-02-05 - FOSDEM 2011: ''Why Political Liberty Depends on Software Freedom More Than Ever'' - Moglen:
- 2011-01-17 - This week in Debian: ''Episode 16'' - Smedegaard:
- 2010-09-30 - Open World Forum 2010: ''(title unknown)'' - Moglen:
- 2010-08-03 - DebConf10: ''How We Can Be the Silver Lining of the Cloud'' - Moglen:
- 2010-07-24 - GNU Hackers Meeting 2010: ''GNUnet presentations'' - Grothoff, Wachs, Evans, Courtès:
- 2010-02-05 - NYU: ''Freedom in the Cloud'' - Moglen